Hey Kindergarten Parents!
If you’re considering donating snacks to your child’s Kindergarten class, give this Kindergarten Snack Guide snack recommendations a read. This is just a guide, but we hope new parents find this useful.
Get to know the food served at East Silver Spring ES and know what you can do as a parent to help your children make healthy eating and drinking choices.
- MCPS Wellness Physical and Nutritional Health, Revised June 29, 2017 (Wellness Policy) Some highlights include:
- Water will be available at no charge in the place where lunch meals are served during the meal service. Any elementary school child purchasing lunch is entitled to a free, 8 ounce bottle of water.
- A la carte items should be Smart Snacks compliant
- Total sugar content must be less than or equal to 35% sugar by weight.
- Soda, candy of any type, and donuts are prohibited from sale to students regardless of their nutritional profile (Note: this doesn’t prohibit serving cinnamon buns and other sugar-sweetened items at breakfast.)
- MCPS Elementary School Menus
- Nutrient and ingredient profiles of the food in MCPS
- MCPS Food & Nutrition, Nutrient & Allergen Data
- A la carte:
- At ESS ES, low fat, sugar-sweetened ice cream is available for purchase every Wednesday.
- A variety of a la carte items are available in the school cafeteria separate from meals. All items available for sale are in compliance with JPG-RA. Wellness: Physical and Nutritional Health. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/foodserv/menus/alacarte.aspx
- Parents have the ability to restrict the purchase of a la carte items. Contact the school cafeteria manager. (Note: this doesn’t apply to breakfast.)
- What school food does my child buy? All school food purchases are tracked and an account history can be requested if there is a need to check how money is being spent. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/foodserv/debitsystem/default.aspx?id=385154
- Doritos, Fruit Snacks Get the Boot as Montgomery County Schools Ban Certain Additives
- MCPS has instructed their vending company to begin the removal of marketing messages on vending machine fronts for beverages that are not allowed in daytime sales to bring them into compliance with their own wellness policy.
- In September, 2014, MCPS announced a new policy prohibiting from future bids for school food the following chemicals in future MCPS food: Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), trans fat, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 3, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Aspartame, Acesulfame-Potassium, Saccharin, Butylated Hydroxyanisol (BHA), Potassium Bromate, Propyl Gallate, Sodium Tripoly Phoshate (STPP), and Tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ).
As updated July 2017. Click here.
Thanks to parents and students who participated in our Chalk the Walk to welcome back our students with positive messages for a great new school year!
Hello ESS! School is almost here. Please see this handy walking/biking routes to school, thanks to Safe Routes to School, to help your walkers/bikers/rollers know the best routes to take.
Grown and enjoyed by second graders this spring.