Get to know the food served at East Silver Spring ES and know what you can do as a parent to help your children make healthy eating and drinking choices.
- MCPS Elementary School Menus
- Nutrient and ingredient profiles of the food in MCPS
- MCPS Food & Nutrition, Nutrient & Allergen Data
- Water: Any elementary school child purchasing lunch is entitled to a free, 8 ounce bottle of water. http://www.realfoodforkidsmontgomery.org/accomplishments.php
- A la carte:
- A variety of a la carte items are available in the school cafeteria separate from meals. All items available for sale are in compliance with JPG-RA. Wellness: Physical and Nutritional Health. An example of an a la carte item served at ESS ES is low fat ice cream, available for purchase on Wednesdays. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/foodserv/menus/alacarte.aspx
- Parents have the ability to restrict the purchase of a la carte items. Contact the school cafeteria manager.
- What school food does my child buy? All school food purchases are tracked and an account history can be requested if there is a need to check how money is being spent. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/foodserv/debitsystem/default.aspx?id=385154
- Doritos, Fruit Snacks Get the Boot as Montgomery County Schools Ban Certain Additives
- MCPS has instructed their vending company to begin the removal of marketing messages on vending machine fronts for beverages that are not allowed in daytime sales to bring them into compliance with their own wellness policy.
- In September, 2014, MCPS announced a new policy prohibiting from future bids for school food the following chemicals in future MCPS food: Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), trans fat, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 3, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Aspartame, Acesulfame-Potassium, Saccharin, Butylated Hydroxyanisol (BHA), Potassium Bromate, Propyl Gallate, Sodium Tripoly Phoshate (STPP), and Tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ).