‘Check out your cafeteria and see all of the fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain foods and healthy snack choices that are available.’
‘Good nutrition helps support healthy bodies. Make your plate full with fruits and vegetables, remember whole grains, and don’t forget lean meats and fat free or 1 % milk.’ From the MCPS Division of Food and Nutrition Services, October 2015 Elementary School Menu
- Current Elementary School Menus
- Nutrition Requirements of School Meals
- Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS) Application
- Frequently Asked Questions about FARMS
- MCPS Food & Nutrition, Nutrient Data
- MCPS Food & Nutrition, Allergen Data
- Any elementary school child purchasing lunch is entitled to a free, 8 ounce bottle of water in compliance with U.S. Public Law 111-296 – SEC. 203. WATER.
Section 9(a) of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (42 U.S.C. 1758(a))
- A variety of a la carte items are available in the school cafeteria separate from meals. All items available for sale are in compliance with JPG-RA. Wellness: Physical and Nutritional Health. An example of an a la carte item served at ESS ES is low fat ice cream, available for purchase on Wednesdays.
- Parents have the ability to restrict the purchase of a la carte items. Contact the school cafeteria manager.
- All school food purchases are tracked and an account history can be requested if there is a need to check how money is being spent.
- The ESS ES share table is available for students to place food on that they may not want to eat. It is then available for other students who may still be hungry.